Consumer Affairs, Department of

Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is here to protect and serve California consumers while ensuring a competent and fair marketplace. DCA helps consumers learn how to protect themselves from unscrupulous and unqualified individuals. The Department also protects professionals from unfair competition by unlicensed practitioners.

General Information: 800-952-5210
Hearing Impaired: 800-326-2297
Phone Hours of Availability: Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m

Frequently Asked Questions

The Application for Registration as a Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS) is for a person who is employed by a licensed contractor to solicit, sell, negotiate, or execute home improvement contracts. An HIS registration is a stand-alone registration that is valid for a two-year period. Before an HIS registrant can work for a licensed contractor, the contractor must first notify CSLB of their employment of the registered HIS. When an HIS no longer works for a licensed contractor, the contractor is required to notify CSLB of the cessation of HIS’ employment.
You can check application status on the CSLB Web site by personnel name, business name, or application fee number.
Our database is unavailable Sundays at 8PM through Monday at 6AM due to scheduled maintenance.

Related Links