Frequently Asked Questions
- First attend to the medical needs of anyone involved. Call 911 if necessary-but remember that 911 is for emergencies only.
- When there are no injuries, move your vehicle out of traffic to the nearest place of safety.
- Notify the Department of the California Highway Patrol or the police department of the city in which the collision occurred.
- Exchange driver license, vehicle registration, and insurance information with the other driver or drivers.
- Do not accept or place any blame. Your insurance company has people trained to determine who is at fault.
- Gather contact information from possible witnesses.
- Take a moment to write down details of the collision, such as time of day, traffic conditions, weather conditions, and the events that led up to the collision.
- Remember, vehicle collisions are not accidents. An alcohol related vehicle collision is just that, a vehicle collision, because the term "accident" implies that these collisions, deaths, and injuries are unavoidable. In fact, alcohol related collisions are predictable and preventable because drinking and driving is the conscious choice of the driver. Never drink and drive or ride with someone who has been drinking. Please be responsible.
Need to report a potentially hazardous traffic condition? Your local CHP can help resolve the issue.
You can report a traffic related issue in one of the following ways:
- visiting the office nearest your location in person and detailing your traffic complaint to the watch officer (Find an Office).
- By calling the office nearest to the problem location via telephone, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
The California Highway Patrol remains committed in keeping the public safe ... like accident reports, tow questions, CHP office locations, vehicle theft tips, ... please click the link above to locate the Regional Threat Awareness Center for your ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp
A proper Party of Interest (i.e. Driver, Passenger, Property Owner, Vehicle Owner, Parent of Minor, or Legal Guardian) may request a copy of a CHP collision ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/collision-report-chp-190
... number that can be used to contact the California Highway Patrol (CHP). ... the CHP for non-emergency purposes (e.g., accident reports, tow questions, CHP ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/1-800-tell-chp-(1-800-835-5247)
Home · Find an OfficeCurrently selected · Notify CHP · News & Alerts · Traffic · Programs & Services · CHP Careers · contact · commend / complain · about · forms ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office/valley-division/offices/(255)-san-andreas
How to Contact Us. The CHP's Mission is to keep you safe. It is our sworn duty to go above and beyond the call of duty to prevent loss of life, injuries, and ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/home/contact-us
To locate your nearest Area Office, use the search box or division map below. ... The Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol is responsible for one of the ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office
Home · Find an Office · Notify CHP · News & Alerts · Traffic · Programs & Services Currently selected · CHP Careers · contact · commend / complain · about · forms ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/commercial-vehicle-section
Home · Find an OfficeCurrently selected · Notify CHP · News & Alerts · Traffic · Programs & Services · CHP Careers · contact · commend / complain · about · forms ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office/golden-gate-division/offices/(375)-castro-valley