How to Use CA.gov
You might have noticed that we changed our website. The new website builds upon its award-winning features with a bolder new look and improvements that provide new ways to access California government agencies through Web 2.0 social media platforms. To help you get the most of our new site, here is a quick tour through some of the features.
California has redesigned CA.gov for faster, clearer, better access to government services and information that citizens and businesses are looking for. This short walkthrough highlights improvements navigation, content, and localization, as well as new functionality like enhanced search and responsive design.
- The homepage features beautiful photographs of the state of California and gives quick and easy access to the most essential features, including links to the state agency directory, online services, and live help with a state operator.
- The website was developed using “responsive design,” meaning the design automatically adjusts to best match your device.
Better search and navigation
- Tabs help you find your way around. There is a lot of information available from state agencies and departments, so we have broken the navigation down into various tabs at the top of the page to help you find your way.
- It's easier to find things. On the home page, we have made search more prominent at the top center of the page. The enhanced search allows you to search and see search results and office locations as you type. Every page has a search box at the top right corner. It is powered by Google, and we have made improvements behind the scenes in the way we tag pages to improve your search results.
- Most requested information at your fingertips. Most requested information at your fingertips. You can find the most commonly requested for information under three content areas called Working, Living, and Visiting. This lets you move quickly to the content you want fast.
More ways to get in touch
- The Agency Directory provides quick links to agency websites, contact information, social media sites, and email addresses. You can find it in the upper right-hand corner. All government links (city, county, state, federal) can be found by clicking on the link "Government Links" in the "Popular Pages" section.
- A "Connect With Us" area provides quick and easy access to social media links such as RSS, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr.
- You can subscribe to email alerts, RSS feeds, podcasts, widgets, and more by going to our "Connect With Us" area as well.
- You can talk to a live operator by clicking on the "Live Help" button. Operators provide live help Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PST)
Expanded multimedia section
- You can get to our new multimedia page by clicking on our Multimedia link in the "Popular Pages" section. Once there, you will find links to Blogs and Social Media, Photographs, Audio, Videos, Podcasts, and Webcams.
Please be sure to tell us what you think of the new site. Are you having any problems using it? We will do our best to help. Would you like to see more features? We'll put them on our to-do list.
Leave us a comment, Thanks!
Use the Site Map. The Site Map is a quick reference to all major pages on the CA.gov website.